10 Unlikely Animal FriendshipsFebruary 7, 2018
How to Potty Train a PuppyFebruary 22, 2018
Dr. Maggie’s Skin & Coat is a liquid blend of oils and vitamins meant to nourish the skin and strengthen hair. Used regularly this special blend helps to prevent hot spots, dandruff, excessive shedding, and dry, itchy skin. But why did we change from the old formula and what are the benefits of new product over the old?
Changes to Skin & Coat:
Swapped out soybean oil for a blend of fish oil, flaxseed oil, and olive oil:
- Soy is highly inflammatory: Soy has a much higher level of omega-6 to omega-3 (7.5:1 ratio). Omega-3 is an anti-inflammatory fatty acid, and omega-6 encourages inflammation in the body. Naturally we need a balance of 2-3:1 to decrease inflammation in the body.
- Soy is heavily processed: Soybeans take a lot of processing at high temperature to extract the oils and fats. This denatures the fats and proteins which makes them toxic and carcinogenic.
- 93% of soy grown in the United States is GMO: Regardless of how you feel about genetic modification and its effects on DNA this process was developed to help crops withstand huge amounts of pesticides and herbicides. These chemicals linger on our foods and are concentrated when the crop is processed.
- Benefits of replacing soy with fish, flaxseed, and olive oils:
- Fish oils are the best source of EPA, an important component of omega-3 fatty acids that protects the heart and blood vessels and is essential in brain cell formation.
- Conversion of plant-based essential fatty acids to EPA is inefficient in humans, dogs, and cats therefore fish or algae sources of EPA must be included in the diet.
- Olive oil is high in antioxidants to protect against age-related damage, and vitamins and minerals that protect and moisturize the skin. Olive oil has also been studied for its ability to protect against cardiovascular disease.
- Flaxseed oil is a great source of linoleic acid, an omega-6 important for burning fat, supporting the immune system, and moisturizing hair and skin. Flaxseed has the added benefit of being able to normalize bowel movements.
Lecithin formerly from soy is now from sunflower seed:
- Lecithin is a fatty substance found in plants and is naturally produced in the body. It is an essential part of the cell wall in animal cells and is required for transfer of nutrients into cells. Lecithin is also used by the body to regenerate liver cells.
- Sunflower lecithin is extracted without using harsh chemical solvents (hexane) that make soy lecithin carcinogenic.
- Sunflower lecithin does not contain the high levels of phytoestrogens (or plant-based estrogens) that can disrupt hormone signals in the body.
Changes in the label and packaging:
- The first thing you will notice is the updated look of the packaging. It is nicer on the eyes, easier to read instructions, and we’ve added a dosing table rather than focusing on species specific dosing.
- The second thing you may notice is the change in sizing of the bottles:
- This is because fish, olive, and flaxseed oils are a much more efficient source of quality fatty acids. With our new formulation you will only need half of the dose of our old formula.
- For a 50 lb dog our 1L bottle provides 200 servings, whereas the 1L of the old formulation would only provide 80 servings for a 50 lb dog.
- The bottle now has a recommendation that the product be refrigerated after opening. For best quality this is a standard recommendation for all oils as temperature and even light can alter the chemistry of the fatty acids. If your fridge is cold enough to solidify the oils, the bottle can be left on the counter for 10-20 minutes to come to room temperature. Otherwise these oils can be served straight out of the fridge.
- The vegan, plant-based flavour added to the blend of oils is still the same roasted chicken flavour as the original but the addition of fish oils gives the product more of a smoked salmon flavour.
- We have been hearing great reviews from pet owners saying that once their furry friends get a taste of the Skin & Coat they won’t want to eat their food without this tasty oil!
Overall our popular Skin & Coat oil has undergone many changes, all of which were made to improve the quality of the product that we give our pets. As research advances in the field of pet nutrition we will continue to provide our customers with products containing quality ingredients. After all, the reason we add oils like this to our pets’ diet is to improve their health and quality of life.